Re: Releasing a spirit (was: same magic, different source, different application, all at once?)

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:55:47 +0100

bryan:

> But of course, practice spirits can do more than this. He has just
> been cornered by a walktapus, and REALLY does not want to be held by
> one of those tentacles. There are four things he can do: augment,
> realease a spirit for extra AP, release a spirit to directly add to
> an ability, or release a spirit to use its ability directly. These
> are all slightly different applications, and with multiple spirits
> the ability is coming from a different source.

Releasing a spirit to directly add its might to an ability makes me afraid. That's one of the reasons the shaman in my game still functions with the HW rules. I mean, he has some powerful spirits, in the 10W-20W range, and I'm nervous with the idea of having such a monstrous augment.

Yes, the spirit then takes a few days/hours to come back, but then the character rarely needs its magic thrice a day (that was one of the things we realized in HW, by the way : even capturing a spirit to have a once-a-day fetish was quite enough).

I got the impression that, if we changed the character to HQ rules, he would be able to get into the W5 area for some abilities. No wonder people fear chamans. The player agrees and we let it at that for now.

So, do people here have shamans in their games and do the players often use this direct augment ?

        Philippe