RE: follower actions vs. multiple attackers

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:20:02 -0600

>From: bethexton_at_...
>How would you rule what is sufficient
>commitment to count as a third defender?

I play that if the character can get hurt, then he can interpose. That is, they have to lend AP, and be potentially eliminated by the AP. Note that means, in my book, that someone Augmenting isn't really in the fight in a substantive way. For example, in a recent game a player with a pretty PC augmented another with that ability (essentially giving him something to fight for). This amounted to simply sitting on the edge of the ring the combatants were fighting in, and just looking good. She gave moral support similarly in another fight later, but decided at some point to join the fray and lend AP, at which point she was knocked around pretty good.

Yes, this means that I won't allow a non-involved character to use a Strong ability to augment someone in a fight, unless they can come up with some creative way that they can be using their ability in such a way that doesn't put them in harm's way. For instance, they could stand back and throw stuff, perhaps. Note that, by using some interesting techniques, you can allow someone involved in a contest to "drag" another character into the conflict. So in the example, if the target of the thrown stuff got angry about it, they could attack the character in question, thus making it a three way fight for the nonce.

Mike

Keep up with high-tech trends here at "Hook'd on Technology." http://special.msn.com/msnbc/hookedontech.armx