follower actions vs. multiple attackers

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:37:37 -0000

We all know followers can prevent you from suffering from multiple attacker penalties. Most typically at the start of combat they loan you AP, then block attackers until their AP are used up.

But can they prevent multiple attacker penalties otherwise? If they augment you, does that count? I suppose it would depend on the narration of how they were augmenting you.

So here is a specific situation. Our heroes are attacked by a group of bandits. The merchant Bob grabs his staff and wades into combat, assisted by his guard Charlie. Bob tells his young sidekick Dan, armed only with a dagger, to stay out of things. However the bandits prove more numerous than anyone had at first realized, and soon Bob and Charlie are facing four bandits and getting flanked. Inspired by his loyalty to Bob, Dan rushes into the fight to help even out the numbers.

Rule wise, Bob started off the fight with the score for his staff equal to his skill plus any augments, and with AP equal to that plus 17 for his guard's sword skill. When they find themselves facing four attackers, he faces the first two at his regular defense, then - 3 on the third, and -6 on the fourth.

Now Dan wants to join the combat. The goal is for Bob to have no penalty against the third attacker, and only -3 against the fourth. Dan can't add his AP to Bob at this point. He could augment him, or loan him AP I suppose. How would you rule what is sufficient commitment to count as a third defender?

--Bryan