Re: Animist religions

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:41:09 -0800 (PST)

> From: "Mike Holmes" <homeydont_at_...>
>
> See, this is still all about as clear as mud.

Yeah. :-(

> The rules say that you get only one Specialized
> Magic Keyword. . . .
> What I think is going on is that the
> Spiritist Keyword is just the same
> thing as the Religion Keyword that
> you get free along with your homeland
> and is explicitly listed as a keyword
> that you get.

Hm. Looking at the Bison People homeland is still confusing. In the actual keyword, it lists "Common magic, Praxian Tradition (animism)". Then in the explanatory text, it has a heading of "Common Religions" with "Survival Tricks" and "Cult Societies" as subheadings.

So, my guess is that you get "Praxian Tradition" as part of your homeland keyword, but it does not say that you get "Spiritist of Praxian Tradition" as part of your keyword. I.e., you get the Praxian Tradition Knowledge ability, but not Worship Waha and Eiritha ability.

I still think that the answer is:

> Basically, the Common Worshipper is parallel
> with the Spiritist (and in some ways the
> Practitioner is like the Initiate, and the
> Shaman like the Devotee).

So, if you take Practitioner as your keyword, you are also a Spiritist.

> From: "fritz_4030" <fritz66_at_...>

Caveat to the below: I am no roolz expert.

> 1. An Animist that concentrates their magic
> loses access to Common Magic ?

Yes and no. The animist loses all common magic other than charms, which are animist in nature.

> 2. Spirits (be they in charms, fetishes,
> practice spirits or allied spirits) can not
> have their abilites increased after
> "capture" ?

Correct. Narrators might want to say that a spirit ally sidekick can be increased, but I really doubt it.

> If you want a more powerful spirit you have to
> get a new one ?

Correct. This makes animists less powerful at the top end of the spectrum than theists or wizards.

> 3. How many Charms & Fetishes could a character
> that starts the game as a Practitioner start with ?

Darn good question. I think 5 charms and 1 fetish, but I have not seen a lot of clarity on this point. There is language in the book saying you get one of each practice spirit. This seems extremely generous to me and not what would happen in play if you became a practitioner.

> 4. If you have an allied "combat" spirit, as
> it automatically returns to its "residence", it
> is available to assist you in every combat it
> is present at, as opposed to Practice Spirits
> that disappear for a time ?

P. 137 says "It can work its magic and, when done, automatically returns to its fetish as described above." This is a littlke ambiguous, especially as to what "as described above" modifies (the noun "fetish" or the verb "returns"). I think, though, that the return works the same way that it does for a practice spirit -- i.e., it takes some time to wander to its natural home, then return to the fetish.

Chris Lemens

Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard - Read only the mail you want. http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools