Re: magical vs. mundane skills

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:16:46 -0800

> I have a problem with magic and resistance.
> Lets say one of my players has a magic called: "Run like the wind 2W". If
he
> uses his magic as an active skill to travel to a far away city he would
face
> the magical resistance of 14 instead of the physical distance of lets say
15M2,
> right?!

Yep, unless there's some magical reason for that 15w2.

> In another episode he meets a messenger, who is very proud of his "Run
fast
> 2W" skill. The messenger wants to know how good he really is and tries to
> capture our magic-user in a race. That means he pits his skill against the
players
> skill, suddenly both of them have equal ratings...now what???
> Does the messengers skill change to a 14?
> Who can help?
> all the best

Resistances provided by intelligent/magical creatures are not reduced to 14 (usually). The example of Jane attempting to leap over trees (HQ 99 & 100) shows the normal way magic and resistance work. When comparing something like magical Run Fast vrs mundane Run Fast you just roll & compare normally like any other contest between two people/things.

When used against a sentient/magical/somehow-not-totally-mundane thing, almost all magic can be classed as "pompous". (HQ 99).

RR
- Richelieu