RE: Re: magical vs.mundane resistance

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:15:32 +0000

>What if I have an ability "Orlanth's Strength 5W" once used legendarily to
>move a boulder, and on another occasion to defeat an opponent in arm
>wrestling? Generally makes the character stronger for certain kinds of
>heroic feats. Now, your character has Stong Like Bull 5W2. We each take
>turns trying to move a boulder that's got a mundane resistance of 4W5. You
>roll against 14, and move it easily. Then I roll against it's mundane
>resistance and fail to budge it.
>
>Now, we move on to armwrestling. Now it's my 5W2 vs. your 5W right? So I win
>handily.

I think we need a better example. The mythical use of the strength does not mean that the resistance to the task should be 14 - because the magic is about being strong, not about moving boulders. If it was a specific boulder-moving magic THEN 14 would be appropriate (Barntar's "Move Stones" feat comes to mind).

Now I am not saying that there is no problem but it seems to me that the majority of cases can be solved by either:

  1. Holding two contests - e.g. both characters roll against the boulder's resistance.
  2. Saying that people - like magical entities - can and do resist with their own abilities. e.g. the wrestling contest suggested above.

Can anyone think of an example where neither of these will do ?

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.