RE: Re: Gaining Hero Points

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:24:14 -0600

>From: "Mike Dawson" <mdawson_at_...>

>I hadn't noticed the change.

Neither had I, actually. But I think it's not a problem.

>Handing out a point each session is a problem in my game, since the
>pressures of
>schedule usually mean that we only have 3 hour long sessions. Add in the
>fact that some
>sessions only involve in-character discussion about what to do, and we've
>ended up with
>some heroes having a stock of 35+ HP.

I'm getting that you guys play that you can only increase something that you would have had some time to improve? Basically, they don't spend the HP, because they haven't "trained" or the like?

Here's a solution that you might like, you might hate...just allow them to spend them whenever and for whatever reason. Nowhere in the rules does it say that a HP spent must have some in-game justification, just that the cost is doubled if there isn't. Meaning that they can increase their abilites at any time for no reason at all. If it's the double cost that's stoping them, then eliminate that.

If you look at HP as entirely metagame, and abilities as metagame as well, then there's no contradiction. Why does the character have more strength in this scene than he did last session if he had no time to weightlift? Because he was holding back last session. Er whatever. You had to roll anyhow, so all we saw in play was the result of the roll in a contest. We don't know precisely how much the character did lift, because it's not really important - the only important thing is who won the contest.

So there's no contradiction in elevating abilities at whim. Like the Develop in Play (DIP) chargen option, abilities show up when the player thinks it's important for them to show up.

I also think that it's fun to have in-game explanations for spending points. I just think that you can do it either way just as fun. That is, if the player wants to spend a point, then let them whether they care to "explain" the increase or not.

Mike

Find a broadband plan that fits. Great local deals on high-speed Internet access. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/