Mythic Russian Masteries

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:54:44 -0000

Cute idea about Ms and Ws, Graham. Now, with my pedant's (fur) hat on, I'd take issue with Bruce's suggestion of 'masterstvo' as that tends to have more of a sense of 'masterful' than 'mastery of an ability' (which would be 'obladenie'). But given that I'm anyway twisting history and reality in ways both minor (including vodka, for example, even though that actually came to Russia later) and major (magic, for gods' sake!) I see no reason to be pedantic, so consider your suggestions gratefully accepted.

All the best

Mark