RE: Mythic Russia: call for opinions

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:40:57 +0100

On Sunday, April 11, 2004 6:46 PM, Graham Spearing wrote:

> I wondered if you would consider changing the way masteries are
> notified? 'W' is 'Gloranthan' as it is short for the Mastery rune. If
> there is something more Russian then I would suggest using that, or even
> 'M' short for 'Mastery'.

My Russian is rusty. ("Ya pozabil russki", or something like that, I seem to recall).

Well, the (or "a") Russian word for master is, um, "master" (adjective - "masterskoi"). A Mastery would be a "Masterstvo". The Russian language has tended to be more likely than even the English to rival other languages' pockets in search of useful vocabulary. The Russian for grand master, in the chess sense, is "grossmeister". Looks like it was the Germans who didn't have the word nailed down that day...

So a big "M" might be appropriate. The Russians don't have a "W" as such. They have letters that look a bit like it, but they indicate "sh" instead. When they need to make a "w" sound, they use a combination of letters.

Regards,

Bruce