Mythic Russia: call for opinions

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:06:16 -0000

Comrades!

As people may or may not have noticed, Issaries has licensed the HeroQuest game engine to me to produce a standalone game set in Mythic Russia, which with startling originality, I am calling 'Mythic Russia' -- the initial press release is _at_ http://www.heroquest-rpg.com/news/pr_04_01.html and the home of Firebird Productions, which will publish the game, is _at_ http://www.firebird-productions.com

The reason I'm posting here is that while the basic HQ game engine will be used, there will be some inevitable tweaks to reflect my own preferences and also the different context of Russia and its myths (just after the battle of Kulikovo in 1380, if anyone's interested, as Muscovy begins to assert itself and throw off the Tatar Yoke). I'd be interested in comments on a few which I already intend to include and also would like to hear any suggestions you may have. A few quick caveats:

Anyway, here is a first batch of proposals:

  1. Linking to the current discussion, all abilities taken during chargen start at 17 (not just keyword, also those in narratives -- which will be the default start method, the others being considered options)
  2. Repeated abilities from overlapping keywords get a +2 per repetition. So if Rural Survival is in all three of your keywords, you get it at 1W.
  3. No cap on increasing starting abilities. Mythic Russian heroes are truly larger than life characters. If you want to burn 10 of your starting points to begin with Strong 7W, you can. There will, however, be extensive narrators' notes on how to handle such heroes and ensure that their relative lack of other strengths also acts as a real penalty.
  4. Scaling up the envisaged ranges for personality traits and relationships, to give them a greater role (so it is not ridiculous to have Love Family 1W2), again at the same time providing more explicit guidance on when this should and should not be allowed for augments and the penalties/pitfalls, so it is not abused.
  5. No common magic as such, but far more scope for using the Natural Magic rules for odd knacks. This is one of the definite differences between Glorantha and Russia: I don't want ordinary peasants having active magic, although they can still pray for protection and even miracles and use their piety as 'magic resistance.' Likewise, odd little knacks such as herbal cures or the like can either be normal abilities or Natural Magic.
  6. Remove the options and fix it that initiative in an extended goes to the highest bidder, to encourage high bids and outrageous manouvres.
  7. Mooks are dead, KO or otherwise definitely out of action at 0 AP
  8. The theist rules will be used as standard, even for animists and wizards (although the former will mainly be Mongols etc and the latter Teutonic Knights and the like) rather than the separate magic systems. There will be some rules differences to give the animists and wizards a slightly different feel, but I don't think that at present the different systems are worth the complexity. I would rather create different cultural constructs for different magics rather than rules.
  9. Most gods, saints, etc offer a single affinity, so it is quite usual for a hero to assemble multiples, such as his home city's patron saint, one linked with his profession and a third relating to his personality.
  10. No hero bands; this is really a Gloranthan construct, and I'd rather give guidance on how you can get group or individual powers and protectors
  11. No heroquesting; I don't think this really fits the Russian model. Instead, I'd propose that by 'crossing over' instead you come to the parallel otherworlds ('the thrice-ninth kingdom' et al) into which you can adventure, but not necessarily following the 'tramline' approach of a heroquest. This is the one I am still most unsure about.

My thinking was that it was appropriate to post here, because through discussion of the HQ game engine, we can all enrish our understanding of the game as a whole. That said, I appreciate that this is not set in Glorantha, so if the moderators have any qualms with this thread, obviously I will withdraw it without any demur.

All the best

Mark