RE: Mythic Russia: call for opinions

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:24:30 +0100

On Sunday, April 11, 2004 9:04 PM, Mike Holmes wrote:

> I think that this might have the tendency to result in people making max
> bids a lot. Meaning that the extended contest system becomes the simple
> contest system, as you get just one roll, all or nothing. In fact, I tend to
> sorta have this problem anyhow even without further incentive (I'd be
> interested in incentive in the other direction). Have you found some reason
> that players take too low a bids?

In my experience, it's varied from player to player and group to group. Some players need to be cajoled into making bids that aren't at one of the extremes.The guidelines on bid size in HeroQuest - cautious bids, etc. - have helped in this respect.

Our regular game uses "high bid goes first" and seems to work okay. We never really had a problem with people bidding too low in that game, though. We just like this option.

Regards,

Bruce