RE: Re: Running a gang

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 12:33:42 -0500

>From: David Dunham <david_at_...>

>They wanted to kill everyone (all of whom were non-combatants), so
>sheer numbers was probably the dominant factor for the defense.

I'm a tad confused about the problem.

You wanted a higher TN for the heroes to roll against, do I have that right? But you ended up using their "run away 14" as the base? Surely there's something else that you could have used? I mean, with numbers on their side, couldn't they have turned to fight? Weren't there any warriors in the group at all?

A group can't be less effective than a sub-group. If you're thinking that you can't use the warrior keyword abilities because not all of the camp has them, then split out the warriors, and just have them step forth as the resistance. In fact, there's no reason that they can't use the same rules that you did for the PCs. Say there's one enemy warrior in the camp who has 15W, and he's augmented by ten other warriors for + 5 each, and suddenly it's a fair fight.

Or were there no warriors in the camp? I mean, if this was just a slaughter of innocents, a group of experienced warriors mowing down a group of non-combatants, then I'd call it an automatic success, and then start having each PC start rolling against their own senses of pride or something to see if they'd lost all self-respect.

Remember that just because there's somebody to kill in front of you, that they might not represent the appropriately dramatic challenge. That's not to say that the PCs can't accomplish a goal related to it, just that there might be some other related source of conflict that's more interesting.

Mike

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar � get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/