RE: Re: Running a gang

From: Silburn, Luke <luke.silburn_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 10:12:56 +0100

>>>You wanted a higher TN for the heroes to roll against, do I
>>have that right?
>>
>>Right, because I knew they were going to be up against combat
>>augmented into the W4 range.

It strikes me that Close Combat isn't perhaps the best ability to use as the starting point when trying to effect a massacre. These guys are scattering in all directions right? So the main challenge isn't doing the fighting/killing but making sure you catch everyone. I'd have thought abilities in the line of 'Pursue Prey', 'Tracking', 'Crowd Control' or 'Organise Massacre' would have been better - Close Combat (and a bunch of other abilities) would be an obvious augmentor to this of course.

How does that change the final ability total that the characters bring to bear?

>>No. They were craftsmen. Build Stone Fortification 10W wasn't going
>>to be much use.

However it could (with an improvisation penalty) give an augment to the 'Run Away' total (representing their familiarity with various nooks and hideaways in the fort they're building).

Were there any other augments you could forage for in their write-up? Assuming these guys weren't especially deeply developed ahead of time, I'd feel perfectly justified in giving them a +5 to +10 auto-augment to represent various 'unwritten' abilities they could bring to bear in trying to evade the slaughter. I'd also give them a Total Community Support bonus to represent the aid they give each other just by there being lots of them running all over the place. Checking the table in the quickstart rules that's worth a +10 for sixty craftsmen.

That takes the base ability of 14 up to 10-15w, still not great in comparison to threat in the w4 range, but then a bunch of guys acting at w4 are within spitting distance of Harrek before he starts augmenting - perhaps 'massacring a stead' is something no self respecting [anti]hero should fail at...

Regards
Luke