Re: Wizards and spells...

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 10:20:38 -0000

> 2) How can a adept/wizard learn foreign spells? For example, the
wizards of
> Makabeus have access to many foreign magic (see Herowars core
rules), but
> how can they learn such spells? In order to learn individual spells
(see HQ
> rules), he has to Open a portal of power to a spell node (10M3) and
make a
> contest with his Use [grimoire]. But for foreign spells, he has no
Use
> [grimoire] skill !

I looked at the rules last night - lets see how much I can remember now!
As an adept, you don't need a Grimoire in order to learn or cast spells, since what you actually do is learn each spell individually. However having a Grimoire available can be handy since you can use it to cast any spell at your use [grimoire] rating.

For example - If you're a cook and your Grimoire is "Mrs Beetons English Cookbook" (Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pudding, Steak & Kidney Pie, Lamb Chops, Peas&Carrots) you might have Use Grimoire 5W, Roast Beef 10w, Yorkshire Pudding 17, Peas&Carrots 13

If you want to Cook Roast Beef, you can do so without looking up the recipe - You can manage Yorksire Pudding & Peas&carrots without looking up the details, but you'd do better if you did, and if you want to try Lamb Chops you need to have access to your Grimoire

So why do you learn those spells separately? Well first of all, have you seen the size of Mrs Beeton's book? Also, if you are trying to augment your "hospitality" skill with your cooking, you can augment with every individual spell you know, but only once with a "Use [Grimoire] ability.

To link to a Grimoire you need to create a portal of power to the Saint plane (10W6) - but you'll be doing so with the support of your school. (Since leaving a school also cuts you off from the Grimoire, I suspect they must additionally protect it in some way, so merely being able to breach the 10W6 barrier doesn't mean you can automatically link to any grimoire you like

To link to a Spell, you need to create a portal of power to the Spell Plane (10W3) in order to create a link (via your talisman).

So if someone can "teach you" a spell (give you directions to reaching it's node on the spell plane) you can create a talisman for it without needing to possess a grimoire which contains it. Likewise, you can "discover" spells on your own without needing inscribe them in a grimoire (which is just as well, as changing or creating Grimoires are supposedly fairly major undertakings, involving linking together the various nodes, or for a new Grimoire, creating a new node on the Saint Plane. Possibly a good "long term" campaign goal for the Adept character - giving the GM plenty of time to work out how to actually do it ;) )