Re: Groups vs one

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 16:19:21 -0700

> I'd like some clarifications about this. I had a contest in my
> last game of 2 players vs 6 lunars desecrating an Orlanthi
> temple. I had the contest end up with 3 lunars per players, and
> ended up wondering this:
> How does that work, exactly? I know that when someone is outnum-
> bered, they get a -3 malus, but is that instead of the outnumberer
> participation, or in addition to?

The Multiple Opponent (MO) penalty only occurs on multiple defensive die rolls. If you only need to make one die roll, then it doesn't matter how many beings are contributing to the attack against you, there is no MO penalty.

> For example: Lunar 1 attacks player 1. Lunar 1 gets augmented by
> Lunar 2 and Lunar 3, and Player 1 gets -6 malus for the extra guys?

No. The defender is only rolling one time, so there is no MO penalty (the benefits of having extra guys are reflected in the bonuses to the main attacker, rather than a penalty to the defender). Basically Lunars 2 & 3 are acting as followers to Lunar 1. Note that followers do not *cause* MO penalties, but they do *reduce* them.

> Or Lunar 1 attack player 1 and gets no augmentation for Lunar 2
> and Lunar 3. Player 1 still gets the -6 though.

I think what you're asking is three attacks, and so three defensve die rolls:
Player 1 defends aganist Lunar 1 with no penalty. Player 1 defends against Lunar 2 with a -3 penalty Player 1 defends against Lunar 3 with a -6 penalty

There is a longer writeup in the FAQ.

RR
- Richelieu