RE: Equipment Mod Oddity

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 20:18:55 +0100

> --- In HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com, "Mike Holmes"
> <homeydont_at_h...> wrote:
>
> If I'm using my cooking skill, should I get a bonus for my
> skillet? A penalty if I don't have one? If I'm carving,
> damned sure I'm going to get a penalty for not having a
> knife. Shoud I get a bonus for having a typical knife? I'm
> not talking about magical or otherwise exceptional equipment,
> just the standard stuff. If I try to forge a sword without a
> forge... not happening, right? Should I get a bonus for the
> forge? If it's unexceptional?

I think that if you're giving equipment bonuses for weapons and armour for combat, the same should apply to equipment used for non-combat tasks. HQ p78 lists the bonuses as being for a "Weapon or Tool" and includes rope for climbing a wall as an example. I think this should apply just as much to first aid kits, cooking utensils, musical instruments and quality clothes, in the appropriate contests.

So, for me, you do one of the following:

  1. Keep it simple - add no bonuses unless they're for "exceptional" items which have their own rating. In this case, I'd definitely give an improvisation penalty to someone who's working without the correct equipment.
  2. Add a bonus for every relevant piece of equipment, whether it's combat/weapon related or not. Some examples of what might be "light" or "heavy" equipment...

COOKING:
Light (+1): A campfire and saucepan.
Average (+3): A typical domestic kitchen. Heavy (+5): A fully-equipped restaurant kitchen.

FIRST AID
Light (+1): A roll of bandages.
Average (+3): A properly-equipped first aid. Heavy (+5): The contents of an ambulance.

A MUSICAL PERFORMANCE OF JIMI HENDRIX NUMBERS Light (+1): A cheap acoustic guitar.
Average (+3): An electric guitar.
Heavy (+5): A vintage fender stratocaster.

THE AMBASSADOR'S RECEPTION
Light (+1): A newly-washed and freshlyipressed outfit. Average (+3): A brand new designer suit. Heavy (+5): A hand-fitted couture cocktail dress/evening suit.

In this case, I'd be less inclined to give an improvisation penalty to someone without equipment, as they're already being penalised by not getting the equipment bonus.

In both cases, though, I'd veto any attempt to do something without equipment that's completely ludicrous. No hacking into NATO's computer system without a computer, or making a sword without a forge (unless you do something cool and mythic, like calling down lightning from the skies), for example.

Regards,

Bruce