Re: Re: Equipment Mod Oddity

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 01:25:37 -0400

Weird, this entire discussion never arrived in my email, I had to find it on the Yahoo Group website.

I'm torn on this equipment idea. On one side, I think it is more elegant to think that having the "right" equipment means you get to use the skill at the normal level. Without the equipment, the skill simply isn't available in the direct sense. OR only available with a modifier. I'm not convinced of the Wealth idea below (although it is intriguing).

I'm wondering if in the end it makes a whole hell of a lot of difference, though. If we're keeping relative differences, does any of this matter (seeing as the game is a game of relative difference as is?).

For weapons, what do you do with animals and their natural weaponry? There are many uses of a skill (not only in augments) that might be possible without the equipment. (Surely using Sword and Shield combat to assess and opponent's ability in sword and shield combat makes sense, although different Narrators will apply different improv modifiers one might assume.)

What about appropriate magical equipment for rituals? Does that get figured in here? What does that do to "fixed" external resistances like opening 10W3 portals and the default magic of 14?

The "chalk it all up to relative situations" appeals to me, but I'm not sure (as mentioned by someone above) that it ends up just as (if not more) intrusive in the end.

LC