Re: Re: Questions about Lunar concentration

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:43:27 +1200

At 12:04 AM 5/26/04 -0400, you wrote:

>On 26 May 2004 at 12:32, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>
> > The intervening sentence is important "He must give up any Use
> > [Grimoire] gained from the school".

>But why?

It's unclear what kind of an answer you want. It is important because it is a penalty for leaving the school in disgrace. Why it happens is because of the Ban ritual.

> > The next sentence explains what Ban means: "This strips him of his
> > rank in the school and acts as a curse to make his access to the
> > school's nodes more difficult". The Abiding Book teaches a spell
> > called the Ban Adept ritual which is being referred to here.

>So you can in fact keep using the book, it is just that there is now a Ban
>to overcome?

Nope. As I've pointed out above, you have to give up the Use Grimoire ability.

> > > Say I have "Use 'Pukka Grub' Grimoire
> > >19" , "Seafood Omlette 3W" and "Stuffed Olives 5W", and then leave
> > >the school. It is clear that I can continue to use and improve the
> > >individual spells, and that I can't create a talisman for one of the
> > >other spells contained in the Grimoire ("Carrot & Corriander Soup"),

> > Correct because you have given up your Use "Pukka Grub" Grimoire.

>Again, why do you lose the ability to Use the Grimoire? If Wizardry is
>about logical rote machinations of spells, how do you suddenly lose
>the ability?

The Ban Adept ritual as I have already stated. Think of it as having your user privileges at the node revoked with extreme prejudice.

> > No as you've been Banned. You could try and make a new
> > spell from the Grimoire that you have although this is not
> > described in the rules.

>huh?

What precisely do you have trouble understanding with the above sentence?

> > You haven't been Banned from using that grimoire. And
> > to answer the question of why a school doesn't attempt to
> > Ban all non-members from using their grimoire - a possible
> > solution might be that the School can only Ban adepts
> > that have belonged to their order. If they don't know who
> > you are, they can't Ban you no matter how much they want
> > to.

>So this Ban spell only can be targeted at specific adepts?

They can only target the Ban against Adepts that have belonged to their order.

> i.e. = We curse you to be unable to use the spells of the order?

It's we curse you to be unable to use the grimoires of the order.

> Can't
>they then do this to a specific spellcaster who has access, even if he
>found a grimoire, if they discover it later?

No, because they don't know who he is as he has never been part of their order.

> > Both the Army Book and the Book of Conflict have a death rune
> > attached to them. Hence they access the same node. The
> > spell each school teaches is the same. If the grimoires don't
> > have the same rune then the spells are different.

>Umm... how do we know what rune is attached?

The Runes are given in the HQ rulebook. If you look at the grimoires for both the Army Book and the Book of Conflict, you will see that they both have a Death Rune in their description.

>Why is none of this discussed in the rules? (there's nothing about
>runes in the rules that imply they have any meaning)

Heroquest p264-265 gives their meanings. They are not talked about these days because the God Learners abused their possibilities and suffered for it.

>Does this mean someone from the Iron Blood School can band someone from
>the Bardan's Book order?

No because they do not share the same grimoires (the Army Book is not the same as the Book of Conflict).

> > The Ban ritual is in place. It can't affect the new grimoire that
> > you know although some complications may if you try and
> > use a spell common to the grimoire that you left behind and
> > the grimoire that you know now. What these complications
> > are really the stuff of adventures.

>So in other words, ignore all of the above and make it up as you go?

No. What I am describing is the specific circumstance that results from casting a spell common to the old school and the current school. What I mean is that it is up to the Narrator to determine what type of complication that results with an eye to making life interesting for the wizard - namely a curse is sent against the apostate wizard, a magical trap causes the spell to have a completely different effect (like harm enemy becoming harm self or harm friend) or a demon pops up with instructions to break the apostate's legs.

--Peter Metcalfe