Trusting the Dice and styles of play

From: bankuei <Bankuei_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 18:13:42 -0000

Hi guys,

It's interesting to note the different ways in which people use HQ. Unlike Mike Holmes, I believe the system has lots of room for players to affect their outcome, particularly when you apply modifiers. Even if you go stictly by the book, smart tactics put big negative modifiers on the opposition. On the other hand, the book doesn't outline each and every tactic available. Players (not their characters) have to be creative to do this.

To comment on Mike Dawson's comment earlier, about players who are unable to do that, and/or use augments - hey, each game has certain skills for success. To play basketball, you gotta have coordination and endurance. To play some rpgs, you gotta know the rules in and out and be able to know the odds. In HQ, you gotta be creative. I take no pity on players who can't roll with it. Between giving examples and every other player there doing it constantly, if you can't adapt, maybe HQ isn't the game for you.

Chris