Re: Simple living through sharper cutlery

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:32:48 -0700

> To make it magical seems to defeat the original suggestion of not
> using passive type magics.?

A simple bonus to a weapon is like a bog-standard "Sword of Westernesse" (to use a LotR-ism). It might be a master-work weapon, or there is a minor enchantment of some kind on it, or a spirit is bound into it as a charm, etc.

It's also kind of boring - "it's a magical +3 sword" tells me that someone didn't put a whole lot of thought into it. And it smells of D&D-isms. Being so boring, I wouldn't let someone buy up the bonus - you want to improve your weapon? Make it interesting! Make it the "Sword of Cutting Flame (10W)" and not only will I let you put points into it, but I might let you use it to start a fire, or cut through metal, or some other cool effect that a simple "+3" wouldn't.

RR
- Richelieu