RE: Re: Terrify enemies with a shout!

From: Silburn, Luke <luke.silburn_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:17:38 +0100

>From: "Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_...>

>Question, warrior attacks (10M) scholar, scholar defends with combat
>skill (17). When the scholar attacks he uses his bemuse with
>irrelevant facts(1M2)! Warrior defends with bloodthirsty 17. The
>scholar wins thus, the guy gives up trying to kill him. Would you
>allow that scenario in a game?

Good point have been made although I would add that thus far the discussion has tended to assume an extended contest.

In a Simple Contest the scholar's player could choose between 17 augmented by his hefty 'bemuse...' skill (plus others of course) or start with his 'bemuse' skill and then augment by combat et al.

Personally I'd have no problem with the former situation (and wouldn't penalise for appropriateness even) but would be reluctant to allow the latter if it had got to the point where violence is already being offered. If, in effect, the contest has already been declared to be one of sharp blades, then I don't think the scholar can redefine it as one of sharp wits by player fiat - of course the player is welcome to try guiding an imminent contest into areas of PC strength beforehand, but I think the options should narrow as the situation develops.

As Mike said though the rulings on these sorts of situations are going to vary a lot depending on the group.

Regards
Luke