re: How to use this charm

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 19:40:48 +1000

At 05:44 PM 8/07/04, Mike wrote:
>What's really nifty is that campsites that are used a lot would probably
>count as sacred sites for the purpose of a ritual bonus to summon such a
>spirit (it's there, but dormant because people don't live here regularly to
>need it's support). So even the lowliest of spiritualists can have a good
>shot at summoning one for the night at certain spots. But it probably takes
>a practitioner to do it consistently at an impromptu campsite.

  Thereby leading to the "This is our traditional tribal camping ground. Off, you. You aren't of our tribe. Go and camp over there, because the camp spirits don't know you and you'll frighten them away."   You end up with campsites that are safer for the locals than for anyone else camping there or for them camping anywhere else, so they'll protect them.

  Similarly, any hunters can end up with protected paths, the tribal/clan/family hunting routes that are safer for the locals to travel and draw game, but are no different to the open forest to anyone else. This could, in a dangerous area, also lead to fun stories based on, "Oh, no! Don't go off the beaten path! You'll end up in the deep dark dank dangerous woods, and the greeblies will get you!" - and they'd be right. ;)
  Also the safe roads of the Empire (whichever Empire) have ritual protection built into them, so they are safer to travel than the countryside or the back roads. Same with canals.   So, part of war could be breaking road systems, or putting breaks in them, so the protection leaks out/fades away/gets offended and leaves. "Righto, sergeant. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to go 23 leagues north of here, cut a 2' deep 3' wide ditch all the way across the Lunar highway there, then fill it back in with this powder here mixed in with the stones. What do you say?" "My ducks and rogue Telmori are always ready, sah! Diggin' it is, sah!" A similar effect to WWII sappers and spec ops blowing train tracks...   And traders will swap maps of 'safe roads' with road damage updates. And rulers will make sure the road infrastructure in their lands is kept up. Sartar chiefs and other invadees will ensure that their roads can be made specifically unsafe for travellers (especially those who damage the roads) with the right changes. And Grazers will thumb their noses at the lot of it.

| Paul May               | kax_at_...
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | the_kax_at_...
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | spell_at_...
| PGP key on www.pgp.net | games and freeforms done while you
| eFax no: (520)832-2559 | wait (some lead-time required)

"The greater the difficulty the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests." -- Epictetus, Greek philosopher

---