RE: Re: The "use it once in a lifetime" skill

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:18:42 -0500

I like Bryan's reasoning. You really create a more in depth character this way, and it's amazing how you can juice up a character when all of their buttons are pushed.

But I have another option. Allow the player to take the ability as a flaw. This way it's free, can be at whatever level, and you can make it as narrow as you like. For instance, call it, "Enraged to extraordinary levels of violence under very rare circumstances 5W3" (or something simpler that is agreed to mean this like Camel's Back). This will only come up under "very rare circumstances" and will either be a huge bonus or a huge penalty(+/-7) depending on the situation. Which is usually thematically appropriate - this sort of thing is rarely only beneficia, and often something that the character worries about.

Note however, how much less potent this is than Bryan's option. I've seen personality traits add up to +15 or so before. What's cool about this is that you not only know that the character is pissed, but you know just which buttons were pushed.

Mike

Don�t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/