Re: re: Defaults and who has em

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:17:13 -0700

> > the same thing as *Never* fail, but possibly close enough for folk
music.

> But if the notation means 'never roll', this is meaningless. And if the
> convention means in effect the same as "20" (or 40), it's entirely
> pointless.

We are talking about modifying an ability that, under normal ciurcumstances, never needs to be rolled, because "no self respecting hero would ever fail at it". It is *meant* to be meaningless under normal circumstances.

But, Jane wanted to know "what is 'Never Fail' -10?" Unless you want "never fail" to be infinity (or never penalized: no such thing as "Falling-down drunk?" Riiiggght), there needs to be some number value to subtract 10 *from* . I originally suggested "40" (disguised as 0w2), but since decided that "20" (Disguised as 0W) is better, because a penalty to the ability will result in something worth rolling against "The World 14".

> > Okay, so if you take a -10% penalty on 0w, it turns into 18, a -50%
penalty
> > turns it into 10. Better numbers for you?
>
> Sounds to me like you're in effect saying an "automatic success" is a
> rating of 20. (Or, a 40.) If it has any 'special' properties
> otherwise, they evidently disappear when you modify it.

No I'm saying that "Automatic success" is never rolled. It never Fails, but it never Criticals either; and if you can roll against the number, you can get a Crit, especially with a mastery bump. The "Automatic Success" number *only* comes into play when you modify it.

RR
- Richelieu