Re: Re: Mastery notation -- from the Continuum list, was: MG's

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:23:44 -0500

>From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
>
>On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:13:33AM -0500, Mike Holmes wrote:
> > Now, I think that the mastery notation is pretty nifty in terms of being
>an
> > immediate indicator of "level" of power. But can anyone see any handling
> > time advantage to it? Wouldn't it be faster just to list all abilites as
> > normal decimal numbers?
>
>It's not at all clear that div/mod by 20 calculations per roll are
>easier than base-20 addition per augment (or sitmod) -- though I suppose
>that'll partly depend on how common, and how large, modifiers are.

I think that these two are about the same in terms of difficulty (in some ways they're the same thing). But starting with decimal you have to do one less of these functions overall. That's certainly less work, no?

>Now of course, if you just happened to make the game-scale one mastery =
>10 TN increments (c.f. the 57 varieties of d10/d12 variant)...

Cerrtainly, and I'd be right there, except I don't like how any of the crits work for these, unfortunately, or the relative HP costs, etc.

Mike

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar � get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/