Re: Devotee v. initiate.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:38:35 +0100

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:07:08AM +1200, steve_at_... wrote:
> Another bonus is that when you are heroquesting, getting to the
> other side is easier when you have devotees standing in for
> various roles.

This is getting, I think, to the nub of it. The big plus of being a devotee is that you're more closely identified with your deity. The big minus is... You get the idea.

Two problems with this in HQ. Firstly, this is confused by the seemingly orthogonal business of the _rating_ of that relationship. How do we coherently describe the difference between "Initiate of Ernalda 5W3" on the one hand, and "Devotee of Ernalda 19" on the other? Secondly, there's the matter of this number not really _doing_ very much. What's it for? What are the consequences of having really good Ernalda magic, but a rotten relationship? Or vice versa?