Re: Devotee v. initiate.

From: steve_at_...
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:07:08 +1200

08/10/04 7:44:17 a.m., "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20 _at_...> wrote:
> I can see both these points, but I still agree that the
> number of major NPCs whose primary activities seem to fit
> their cults, but are not devotees, is surprising. I'd
> hesitate to call them "just" initiates when you look at the
> ability numbers next to their affinities. That -5
> becomes almost irrelevant in the face of multiple masteries.

My gaming group has decided that although devotees are more powerful in their specialty, concentrated initiates have a lot more flexibility, and may in fact be more powerful considered that way.

Devotees get to improvise new and unusual feats, and initiates only get to improvise standard feats. Devotees also get to raise x feats for the price of 3 by raising an affinity, if they know more than three feats in an affinity, then that's a better deal than initiates get.

Another bonus is that when you are heroquesting, getting to the other side is easier when you have devotees standing in for various roles.

For those bonuses Devotees give up a reasonable amount of magic, and that means that becoming a devotee is by no means an obvious choice for the power gamers out there.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rennell 	steve_at_...
Wellington, New Zealand