Re: Devotee v. initiate.

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:34:26 -0400

Wow, travel a bit and miss out on interesting discussions.

I've been wrestling with the Devotee vs Initiate thing for a while, too, trying to figure out how some characters I want to create would work. And in the end, I think I've fallen back on this idea of "power vs flexibility" that seems to pervade things.

Like Steve, I think Devotees ARE more powerful than initiates in some key matters, especially the ability to raise all their feats at once, their prime role in heroquesting, greater access to the cult secret, etc. But they do sacrifice some flexibility here.

I don't really know how to handle the idea you can buy stand-alone feats from other cults but not one you are initiated to. I like Jane's logic on this, but it still seems odd. I'm tempted to let people buy stand-alone feats from their own cult, but with the limitation of it starting at 13 and not increasing with the affinity, even if that goes against the rules.

As far as adding to the rote feats included, it's quite clear Devotees can but Initiates cannot do that. But what about learning a new feat in the same affinity from some other cult? In other words, could an Initiate of Issaries learn a feat from the Trade affinity of Etyries and just subsume it into his Trade affinity?

LC