Re: Re: City gods

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:30:13 -0700

> > Mental image: Pavis runelord standing in a bucket of
> > "Pavis land" that he totes around with him. He must
> > have "Axe combat without moving feet".
>
> > Chris Lemens
>
> ROFL! Nice!
>
> Seriously, I seem to remember that in the RW, embassies are legally a
> part of the country of which they are an embassy, and that country's law
> applies therein. In Glorantha this may well be a bit more literal than
> here - he might well have to lug some soil around with him, or a rock,
> or something. A chunk of Wall, perhaps? (Look, I'mm still inside the
> Walls! There's a bit to my west even now!)

Oh come now, there's a perfectly good precedent for this - "Vampires are required to rest in the soil of their Homeland" (or has that vanished in the Anne Rice/Word of Dimness era? Too bad, Dracula was the greatest Vam,pire story ever written, and so takes precedence over Anny-come-latelies! So there. PBppbpbpbpbp :-p ).

Frankly, I don't know why anyone would *actively* worship a City god unless they plan on achieving municipal authority. I would make Pavis (/all City Gods) a Guardian Entity (Sort of like KeroFin or Moosehorn Spur - the worship needed would probably be the dominant worship of the region, unless there is a good reason for it to be different, so Pavis might be an animist entity, or, because of his foreign nature, a Theistic one), with a small dedicated sect that actively worships him - and from which the city officials are drawn. A Devotee of Pavis would then be a person on the "Fast track" to become Mayor, Chief of Police, or Overseer of Trade (at least, he would be, if the Lunars hadn't stepped in...).

But I *really* don't want to get sucked into this quagmire!

RR
- Richelieu