Re: Practice spirits have how many abilities?

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:55:38 -0000

> > A shaman can only attack by using his spirirts right?
>
> No, he can always use kung fu...

Hehehe top banana!

> If you mean attack magically, then yes, shamans have no special
attack
> magics (but then, unless they are in a cult with attack feats in
their
> affinities or a school with attack spells in their grimoires,
neither do
> Thesists or Sorcerers).

I'm thinking a thrown thunderbolt. I would allow the shaman to resist with his best appropriate magical ability. Unless he has a few big spirit to throw, the thunderbolt is going to be more useful over the course of, say, a battle. Just trying to think it through in my head.

I like the magical contest stuff - you know, stinging hail, blast of air that kind of stuff. I take my inspiration here from soem of the gwandor campaign write ups. Slightly variant, but very very cool.

> No, you're not right, because shamans have the most widely varied
magical
> power-and-ability list going.

Agreed!

> The shaman might have a tremendously big spirit (Take a look at
the range of
> Oakfed spirits on page 150, for example) or release several at a
> time.

Release several at a time? How does that work. A spirit released from a fetish only can augment, not add its value to the skill rating, ie.

Shaman has jump 17 and a spirit of Jump 10M2, he can use the spirits skill as an active ability or as an auto augment of +5. But it is not 10M2 + 17 = 7M3

> The real restraint on an anamist binding a powerful spirit is the
cost in HP
> to cement the fetish.

Oh right, cool. Makes sense of course.

Regards