RE: Re: Slings & Arrows....

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:44:28 -0500

>From: bethexton_at_...

>I think it is one of those things where you could handle it several
>different ways, so long as everyone in the group knows how it will be
>handled.

I agree, but also note that this sort of thing can be established by a confident narrator just by doing it well the first time out. All you really need to do to establish consensus on this from the start is to be consistant. IME.

>For things where the "ammo" will be one or two (javelin, dagger), you
>could keep count. After all, in the course of a contest many skills
>will and won't be applicable at different times. So if the player
>has one knife and throws it, they can't use their knife again until
>they take an action to get another knife somehow.

One way to get into the right frame of mind is to think of the character in terms of "conditions." Is the character armed or not? This is something that the game takes into account (if not armed with a sword you're going to get a big Improv Mod trying to use the ability without it). So a thrown dagger means that the character has intentionally changed his condition to unarmed. Presumably because he could not reach his opponent, or because he didn't want to face his opponent's melee skills, ...

Arrows are no different. The character is armed and firing arrows until he's not anymore. When that happens, if it happens at all (people carry the number of arrows that they do because it's usually enough to handle the situations they expect), should coincide with many rounds, and possibly with a last bid.

"Bidding your last 10? Let's say that head shot you're calling is your last arrow."

>I doubt this really helps much....

Yeah, I know what you mean, Bryan. People seem to have a hard time visualizing how this works in play. All I can say is that it's really easy, and not the issue that people seem to make it, in my experience.

Would an example of play help? If so, I can narrate Bryan as a PC through a sample conflict with an archer with only 5 arrows or something?

Mike