Re: Improving spirit abilities--possible?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:51:18 -0700

> All I was doing was objecting to the statement, "Spirits are otherworld
> entities, *therefore* their scores can't increase."

Except that "Otherworld Entities can't change since the Compromise" is part of the metaphysical background of Glorantha. They may lose and regain powers due deteriation or increase in worship (actually, it's more like "Forget and Remember" powers), but they can't learn totally new stuff, or "get better at it over time". (because time doesn't exist for them. They are literally "outside" time. It's part of the Great Compromise or local equivalent).

>It seems to me that
> within Gloranthan metaphysics, there would be ways for their scores to go
up
> short of a full-on heroquest. So if a narrator decided, he could permit an
> allied spirit's scores to increase under certain circumstances. Maybe as
> "advanced experience", for example, or as a special reward in an
> extraordinary situation.

For an Otherworld entity to change, it must be somehow linked back to the Inner world. That's where the "Forget and Remember due to Worship" idea comes in - the worship is the link to the inner world whereby the diety can change.

*By the rules*, a normal spirit stuffed into a fetish may not change. A spirit made into a Retainer Ally can't change. Only a spirit made into a Sidekick Ally can change. So, to reverse-engineer the reason why, we ask "What is it about Sidekick Allies that makes them special? it *may* be that those two extra HP that you spend to make it a sidekick instead of a retainer allows it to become a being "inside time" - an embodied spirit like a human (and the "Fetish Support League" might decide that it is alive!). Or it may be that those extra HP are enough to cross the metaphysical line from "not worshipped" to "worshipped" and allow it to "remember" stuff the hero didn't know about.
etc. But as an Otherworld being, it doesn't have the capacity to grow on its own.

RR
- Richelieu