RE: Re: Movement rates

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:18:31 -0600

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>

>It would be good if the first guy could get back in time for the
>ceremony that has to take place at the dark of the moon. It's now full
>moon. Is this reasonable and possible, or will the rest of the group
>plan for his absence?
>
>A moon-boat leaves Boldhome at the same time, heading elsewhere. How far
>will it have got by the time either messenger gets to WW? Will the
>consequences of its arrival at wherever have an impact, or not?

>There are no rolls here.

Why not? This is exactly the sort of thing that I roll for in my game. Not only is it dramatic to do so, but it's realistic. While one can calculate approximate travel times, the actual travel time is random. It's a powerful fact that the HQ system can actually work out whether or not you make it somewhere in time based on your abilities. Few other game systems can do this at all.

Take GURPS for example. If you use that system, you get a deterministic result. Actually there are heuristics that can account for randomized travel times. But they're so time consuming, and fail to take into account important things to such an extent that they're crap by comparison.

Only HQ does this correctly.

Mike