RE: Re: The Numbers

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:34:35 -0000

> The decisions are usually based on three things:
>
> a) Consistency with the known world
> b) How much the GM wants it to happen
> c) Keeping the character conception alive
>
> You don't have to have a detailed model of what happens in
> the real world to make a guess that fits all three.

But you do need a rough idea for a).

> So, for Whitewall to Whitewall via Boldhome (a) is answered
> by looking at a map ("Looks like a bloody long way, there are
> all those mountains and Sartar's roads haven't been the same
> since Bovis took over their maintenance"), (b) is answered by
> the GM deciding what is optimal to the story ("I'd like them
> to do it in plenty of time/I'd like it to be close/I'd like
> them to get back well after the bat's sat on the
> place") and (c) is answered by considering the geezer doing
> it ("Hervald's known for moving like shit off a shovel, if
> anyone could do it, he could/Hervald couldn't move that fast
> if he had the runs and the nearest khazi was in Boldhome").
>
> Once you know the answers to those three questions (which
> take far longer to write up than do) you can come up with a
> difficulty, some examples:

Nice examples, but let me add another one or two (or three)

It'd take an average bod 8 days, Hervald's fast but no way can he do it in 3 which is what I need, better introduce someone to give him a lift. Interesting new NPC! Fun!

It'd take an average bod 8 days, I need him to not get back for another two weeks. Right. What goes wrong? Is it fun? Does it need to be on-camera, or can I just say "OK, while the player was on holiday this happened to his character"?

It'd take an average bod 8 days, Hervald's fast, and I'd like him to stagger back five days later with everyone praising his stamina, skill, and general heroism (except for the owner of the horse he killed). Fine, no roll needed, that's what happens.