RE: Sidekick minimaxing

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 07:50:25 -0000

> >"Nonhuman sidekicks always gain the benefits and
> disadvantages of their
> >natural abilities, including a species keyword for intelligent
> >nonhumans. They can have a keyword if the hero wishes, but
> more likely use only their natural abilities."

> Well, at least I was confident because the rule as written is
> broken. All that stops a character from being absurdly
> powerful is GM fiat. So where to you draw the line? Shell
> Deer? Trolls? Giants? Dragons?

Wherever the GM and players between them feel like. Maybe Rob was right, and you *are* running in the Storm Age with the players as gods. Why not? Maybe you're not in Glorantha, you're in Pern. Of *course* you've got a dragon sidekick!

Seriously, the limit is the bit that talks about comparative levels of hero and sidekicks. If the "follower" is more powerful than the hero, then he isn't, he's more likely to be an ally or a patron. And on non-human sidekicks, p28 points out that they may have higher natural abilities, but often come with their own disadvantages. If you can't figure out the disadvantages of a True Dragon, you just aren't trying.