RE: Sidekick minimaxing

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:09:39 -0600

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>

>Seriously, the limit is the bit that talks about comparative levels of
>hero and sidekicks. If the "follower" is more powerful than the hero,
>then he isn't, he's more likely to be an ally or a patron.

Absolutely my point. I wouldn't mind a character taking a relationship to such a being. The problem is that it's just too attractive to allow these as followers. Before you know it, everyone will be clamoring for a pet demon or whatever. Which is great if that's the game you want. Just doesn't seem to follow along with the other themes of Hero Quest.

It's not even really the power levels that I object to (I think these are kinda irrellevant), so much as how it would warp the character concepts. I mean, why stop at just a dragon? You should take several demon retainers as well.

Sure I can just say no, but then where do I draw the line? It's just simpler and easier to manage if you only make followers partially available in terms of abilities to their owners.

>And on
>non-human sidekicks, p28 points out that they may have higher natural
>abilities, but often come with their own disadvantages. If you can't
>figure out the disadvantages of a True Dragon, you just aren't trying.

But, again, that assumes that we're powergaming or something. For the people I play with most often, the dangers and troubles involved will only make these creatures more attractive, not less.

Mike