Re: Norse Runes

From: bryan thomas <nagilfar_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:21:51 -0800 (PST)

Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...> wrote:
> Any

Well, the vikings would simply carve the runes needed to "cast" the spell. Rather than worrying about number of runes you know, and which ones you are using, and the like (which, from my memory of researching it, isn't really that "historical" anyway),

Each rune haas letter 'value' and essence or 'magic' value eg Uruk = strength.

I'd say that they know X spells, or X type of spells, and all the runes needed to cast them.

I'd likely say they have access to the whole Futhark, and could list common rune combinations, or spells.

If they want to experiment
with combining different runes, then assign improv penalties, *and* make them describe which runes they are using, and how they *expect* them to work.

Yes. That is a great point(s).

 You might have some sort of "Theoretical Rune Magic" ability for improvising,

Indeed.

as opposed to "Know Troll-Bane Sword spell".

And, of course, the characters need some sort of artistic ability to carve/paint/scratch the runes correctly...

Indeed, again.

Thank you.

RR
C'est par mon ordre et pour le bien de l'Etat que le porteur du présent a fait ce qu'il a fait.
- Richelieu

To Post a message, send it to: HeroQuest-rules_at_eGroups.com To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: HeroQuest-rules-unsubscribe_at_eGroups.com To Complain constructively please email me at steve_at_strategy-gaming.com.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada

Yahoo! Groups Links