Re: Re: Keyword v. best skill?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:31:12 -0800

> > I believe I asked this question and the answer given a while back
> > on this list (borne out by experience as a narrator) They are raw
> > numbers without Augment.
>
> Oh OK. Would still value a 'yep' from one of the guys involved in
> publishing HQ though.

While not "speaking Ex Cathedra" for Issaries, *I* view the "Sample Resistance" table (P 274-275) as raw values. The Clan Champion's best Combat skill (Sword & Shield, 2H-Axe, Boot to the head, whatever) is around 10W to 10W2. Then he has all the normal Equipment bonuses, plus as many augments from abilities as seems proper - taking a look at the "Clan Champion" keyword in TR 170, He could resonably claim "Ignore pain", "Strong", "Tough", "See Opponent's Weakness" and "Relationship to Clan". As a "Special Weaponthane" he can also be assumed to have the WeaponThane abilities: "Dedicated", "Fearless", "Professional" (or "Reckless"), and Weaponthanes are "Full-time Warriors", so he most likely has Warrior abilities: "Recognize Fighting Style", "Brave", "Bloodthirsty", "Grim", "Determined". Plus he's backed by the clan (Community bonus) *and* by the clan magics. Even at only +3 each, that's a good set of bonuses.

The NPCs like Kallyr etc. were written up originally for HW, and then just taken as-is when converted to HQ. There *are* some changes to the way augments work (the introduction of Automatic augments, frex) that aren't necessarily discernable in the stats. But the stats listed in the "Other Ability" boxes are raw, without augment, and you can work them out for yourself. ({Personally, I'd ignore the "Contest Synopsis" boxes and just work out the final values for yourself. Don't forget the effect of augments from followers...)

While Kallyr is no great shakes at combat (Spear and Shield 14w2 by the end of Gathering Thunder), her real role is that of Leader: Brilliant Inspiration 7W3, backed by "Initiate of Dar the Queen (Lead Tribe affinity)" 15W, "Member of the Iron Ring of Sartar" 17W2, "Loyal to Followers" 15W2, "Loyal to Kingdom of Sartar" 10W2, "Starbrow" 7W2. Then add the normal "Warrior" 9W abilities of Boastful, Brave, Determined, Grim. So when *Leading* the rebellion, she has err... Brilliant Inspiration in the area of 3W5. Now *that's* where she shines, not in the front line with the grunts. (of course, she really nees to have someone sit on Ulusu Sit-here, so he doesn't have a chance to mess it up with his "Be a complete and total Ass" ability...

RR
- Richelieu