Re: Re: Saga system

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:00:40 +0000 (GMT)

 > Get the book(s) with the advanced npcs down. Spend a
> hour doing a
> rough count of HP required to buy the skills (ie no
> of pts over 17 for each skill).

If only that had any chance of working!

Those character sheets are, as we know by now, very abbreviated. They show the skills and relationships likely to be relevant to that scenario, and sometimes not even that much. My usual example, the one I know best, of course - look at her description, spot the relationships to all those people she can get to follow her on her character sheet. Not there. Spot the "powerful as minor god" on her character sheet. Not there. Figure out how she called a Defender Wind at the end of Thunder Rising. No such feat or affinity.

That doesn't mean those NPC stats are "wrong". Just incomplete.

Then as I was saying earlier, you have to allow for the skills these people have *lost* over the years. I her case, in 1611 she was a Vanganthi, with no doubt healthy skills in various Vanganthi things (flight affinity and so on). All vanished.

I *know* my players will develop abilities that vanish with time, because they're building up relationships with people who I happen to know will get killed in 1602, or 1613. Their "streetwise (Duck Point)" will take a bit of a blow when the Lunars burn the place down.

Maybe if I did the sums you suggest, then doubled them? Tripled them?

Jane Williams