RE: Re: Saga system

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:35:18 -0600

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>

>And I think that would work, but you're right, I don't like it. It takes
>control away from the players and hands it to me. And I'm allergic to
>the idea. But if I suggest to them that adjusting certain areas would be
>good... And let them do their own explanation...

Sure, I have no problem with that. But it higlights the essential problem. Which is that the more control you give the PCs, the less likely they are to hit your marks.

>I don't really do "scenarios", either. My players do whatever they want
>to do next - they tell me they want to go to X and find out about Y, and
>I go and do a bit of prep deciding what else they'll meet that they
>weren't expecting. So when *they've* decided, not me, to go to the
>Frozen Wastes and hit things, they won't need much of a hint to do some
>snowshoe training and combat practise.

Well, even worse, then. I mean, how do you know that they'll decide to go precisely when they've hit the benchmark in question? Or anywhere near it?

One thing you can do is simply adjust the difficulties of the things they meet when they go - basically modify the benchmark to match. I mean, if they've not yet seen a particular wall, why can't it be precisely as tall as it needs to be for it to be the right challenge when they encounter it? Who'll know otherwise that it was always that height?

Mike