Re: The book says many things (was Narrative Abilities are crap?)

From: Nick Hollingsworth <nick.hollingsworth_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:08:33 -0000

Mark Galeotti:
> I must admit I felt a degree of disquiet reading this post. ...
> its underlying notion that there is a set and specific way to play
> HQ or indeed Glorantha 'right'.
> I wrote one of the examples at the last minute, the rest were,
> AFAIK, written by Greg.
> You might regard this as a missed
> opportunity, but on the other hand it does avoid a degree of
> preachiness

Calm your troubled breast.

I dont think anyone is suggesting there is a 'right' way. I am sold on the whole narrativist thing but remain firmly of the opinion that not only is it not 'the right' way to play its not even 'a better' way to play. Its just a great way to play.

'Missed opportunity' is exactly the point. However it is currently very hard to point anyone at a coherant explanation of how to prepare and play in a narrativist style. Even the explanations given by Ron Edwards who is undoubtedly a driving force are hard to understand unless you already do. Nor has this recent touchy feely arty narrativist stuff originated with Issaries anyway, so there is no reason to expect them to have built examples round it.

But at its core the post only really said 'its a shame that the example didn't show a group based in a clan or something so that people who have only ever seen rootless-parties would realise you can do loads of other stuff'.

> but IF anyone knows what the 'Gloranthan style of
> play' is, I'd presume it would be Greg.

I dont see how this follows. You are leaping from 'If it copes to it Greg needs to be allowed the last word on the Truth about the setting because hes a creative artist, he nurtured Glorantha and thought up most of it and he might need it to feed him in his old age' and getting to 'Greg therefore can also predict the best way to roleplay and probably the weather too' not to mention 'there is such a thing as The style of play that is correct for a setting'.

This will be that evil Soviet influence effecting you. Either that or the fame of an appearance on Radio 4's Serious News For Grown-Ups has letf you all a tizz.

> I'd be in favour of letting a thousand flowers bloom.

Yay. Me too.