RE: Magical associations

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:08:26 -0000

> I do not think this is entirely accurate. Runequest was ALL
> about making assocations with cults in order ot get magic ...

Very much so. And it was all in the world background, not in the mechanics of the rules. If it's a spell your cult provides, your priest summons the appropriate spirit and arranges for you to go into spirit combat with it and wrest the spell from its grasp - and you'll need to sort out a focus, too. All sorts of interesting little details like having a tattoed focus that you can't lose - until the enemies who've captured you get busy with a knife :( And the times wheh you try to get a multi-point spell, take on a rather large spirit, and lose :(

Maybe these days it's called a daemon (sp?) not a spirit, but same difference? The equivalent of common magic?

If you want a spell beyond what your cult provides, you look at Associate Cults. What cults is yours friendly with? And how persuasive can you be?

At the higher levels that PCs rarely reached - well, the game was called Rune Quest for a reason. And there never were mechanical rules for that bit, AFAIK.