RE: Forms of magic

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:08:31 -0000

> Greg:
> >
> > A charm is something you have.
> > A Feat is something you are.
> > A spell is someting you do.
> > A talent is something that is part of you.

Nils:
> As a number of peopla have said: lovely. But, there is one
> nag in my mind. What is the difference between Something you
> are and Something that is part of you?

My interpretation would be : I am a programmer; my hand is part of me. (Well, "programmer" might be Affinity rather than Feat, but...). Then "I copy a file to floppy by doing these things" would be a Spell, and my optical mouse would be a Charm. (And I must be Unconcentrated, I see).

If I'm right in this interpretation, I'd see Affinities as being related to personality traits as being always available to be "triggered", with the known feats being the way in which they manifest. I automatically think like a programmer, in all circumstances, whether I want to or not. I'd assume that a Uroxi automatically thinks like a berserker, in all circumstances, whether he wants to or not...