Re: Rules versus Story

From: Greg_at_...
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:08:15 -0800

People,

> From: "parental_unit_2" <parental_unit_2_at_...>

wonders
> I'm wondering whether those
> who designed the rules and the homelands had thought the issue
> through, or just decided it wasn't worth considering.

Yes.

> From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>

also wonders
> Just curious, where in the rules does it say that
> Heortlings only and exclusively use Flesh Man common
> magic?

Actualy, the Heortlings claim that all Common Magic comes from Flesh Man. We know it doesn't, but they don't, and they claim that it all does.

A LOT of people make wild claims about Common Magic, but their claims are not objecively true. But they have no objectivity themselves.

> From: "parental_unit_2" <parental_unit_2_at_...>

comments further

> Nowhere, of course. Presumably Heortling characters can learn common
> magic from common religions that list Heortland in the Homelands
> section of the keyword.

According to the rules, they can learn any CM. But according to the story, would they learn it form a Lunar? Of course not. They don't know what Common Magic is. That is a rule construct, not a thing the Heortlings know about.

> As I mentioned before on this list, this is one of the things that
> seem odd about the concentration rules and the way they interact with
> the homelands in the HQ rulebook. In some cases, concentration on the
> main magic system of a homeland means giving up the native common
> magic because it's from the wrong otherworld. But non-native common
> magic, no matter how weird or foreign, is OK based on the rules if
> it's from the right otherworld.

Again, yes, it is OK *based on the rules.* But play the story, not the rules. No one in Glorantha knows the rules, just the stories. People are naturaly conservative and jus wouldn't learning something from a foreigner. They don't even know that they CAN.