Re: Substituting abilities

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:39:50 -0000

Ben

I fear your spot on. The onus is very much on the players cooperation  with the narrator. However, I do like Mike's take on it, that it depends on the stated aim. I have to admit I am further from Pauls view, which for me is a little traditional fantasy.

To develop things further though, I would say that I would probably be firm in saying that the 'Love Family' would work in a situation I described. FREX, the stead is attacked, and the mother grabs her spear and joins the battle. She see an enemy clansmen standing over her children, sword raised. I would rule that strictly under those circumstances the Love Family would be a valid primary ability, but not before her family was so explicitly threatened. Thus I think that the *Free Sartar* example would fail the test under most circumstances so could only possibly augment.

Regards
Rob

hmmmmm...

Regards