RE: Re: Interesting Failure

From: joshua neff <joshua_neff_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:35:23 -0800 (PST)

Another extension of this that occured to me while reading this:

One of the unstated clauses of jumping the chasm is "with all of my stuff making it to the other side with me."

In "Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow," Joe & Polly are running across a tree that spans a vast chasm. What happens? Joe drops his only firearm and it falls into the abyss. And Polly drops her camera and accidently takes a picture of nothing, leaving her with only one picture left. And both characters are very upset about this.

So, Ragnar jumps the chasm to save his friend, and the player rolls badly. "Ragnar makes it to the other side, but he slips a little as he lands, and he drops his battle axe. It tumbles down into the abyss." Now, the character will undoubtedly get another, similar axe later in the game, but for now? He's at a disadvantage, without the character taking any physical damage or losing his life.

Just another way of looking at it.

> >From: "Sam Elliot" <sam.elliot1_at_...>
>
> >Josh's devotion one I agree with, sure if there's
> so much invested in it,
> >it can be an automatic success.
>
> I'm going to go off on a bit of a peregrination
> here. This is supposed to be
> one of the upcoming articles for Narrator Advice, so
> perhaps we'll see it
> cleaned up there later. In any case, it's a tad
> torturous, so try to bear
> with it.
>
> Here's the trick with failure and goals. When a
> player states a goal, there
> are unstated clauses that come along with that
> statement. Let's examine the
> chasm thing yet again. The goal will be stated as
> "Get to the other side"
> likely. But understood is the clause, "without
> falling to my death." This is
> the obvious example, however, and so what people
> usually think of in terms
> of the "stakes" of a chasm leap. So when they fail,
> the thought is that you
> must invoke the repercussions of not succeeding with
> both of these clauses.
> Not only does the character not get to the other
> side, but also he falls.
>
> Well, first of all, you don't have to assume the
> "falling" clause is the
> stakes. For example, you can merely do the standard
> example we use in this
> case, and the character runs up, fails to have faith
> that he can make the
> jump, and stops just before leaping. Because you
> only have to prevent the
> actual stated goal from being achieved. But...this
> voids the other rule
> about not causing plot progression to cease, right?
> I mean, now we have this
> situation where the character can't proceed, and
> we've given the player no
> more options. Yes, he can come up with some other
> creative method to get
> over the chasm, and sometimes that's OK to allow.
> But never (OK, maybe
> rarely) allow a third attempt at the same goal,
> because that's asking for
> the game to just become all about getting across
> this one chasm.
>
> So we invoke "No, and" in this case, sorta; the rule
> that says to apply
> other conditions to the defeat to make for new
> conflict. But isn't the "and"
> falling in this case? Well, "without falling" is
> just one option, and if
> it's the clause, and it means character death, then
> it's not a good choice
> for advancing the plot along. Basically, all tasks
> have a general unstated
> clause of "without anything untoward happening to
> the character." Meaning
> that you really can inflict just about anything you
> want on the character.
> Does that mean that you'll make the Major Failure an
> "Inability to Sing"
> because they missed their roll to get over the
> chasm? No, there are lots of
> [...]

=== message truncated ===

--joshua m. neff

www.goblin-cartoons.com