RE: Question on a feat Deathsong Berserk

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 20:02:55 +0100

> As well as being harsh, it also rules out the possibility of
> there being rare occasions where some of the Humakti somehow
> survive what they expected to be their "Last Stand". And I
> think that that is too good a story element to rule out entirely.

Having had that happen in a game, I agree with you. The PC was *very* upset that he somehow survived, feels that Humakt rejected him, and seems to be trying to correct the situation.

But that element of drama was only there because the PC really did expect to die. If we make it just a "yeah, +2 and you survive", it's a bit boring. Havifn Deathsong Berserk have the same effect as "Sword Help" just doesn't cut it.

I'm not sure how I'd go for a "best of both worlds" effect. Insist on it being a high rolled augment, perhaps? Then at least the results aren't boring. Perhaps say that if your rolled augment is a critical, you get the full RQ-like original - doubling of skill, or something, and straight to join Humakt's unspellable warband thereafter?