Re: Inflation of combat values

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:58:51 +0100

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:18:14 -0400, you wrote:

>I have noticed during play that the equipment rules in Heroquest have inflated combat
>abilities over other abilities that do not normally use equipment. Has anyone else
>noticed this trend.

It's certainly there, but if combat ability is working against combat ability then it doesn't make so much difference - though you should probably inflate the combat abilities of anything you find in Anaxiel's Rooster.

The problem occurs when combat abilities compete with non-combat. I remember the first Hero Wars game I ever played (a playtest game, at Convulsion 98?) in which a contest developed between some Black Oaks' Spear skill and an Earnaldan priestess' Enforce Correct Behaviour - "Would your mother approve of you attacking guests like this? And what's more you've done the buttons up wrong on your tunic!"

You might need to come up with some boosting values for other bits of kit in that circumstance.