Re: Vogarth The Strong Man

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:14:00 -0700

> Once he gets to the required level in slow witted and strong he can
> THEN devote and learn the secret. Until that time he keeps his
> magic from Orlanth and common magic doesn't he, as there is no
> conflict of interest?

Correct. He'll probably be an Initiate of Orlanthcarl or one of the other Orlanth Allfather "occupation" cults, just as a place-holder. (In another culture, he probably would just be a communal worshipper, but it would be exceptional to not be at least an initiate in the heortling culture.)

> As an aside, I take the following of Vogarth's virtues and
> sacrafices are what enables him to increase his strength to
> herculean proportions yes? As a narrator I would be reluctant to
> allow a human to increase his strength to more than 5M without a
> special reason, seeing as a dark troll has a strength of 1M.
> Thoughts?

Don't be reluctant to allow "out of norm" abilities. If the god has called him, he'll grow into the part. It's not the sacrifices and virtues that do it, it's the call of the god. "Oh, that's why you're so much stronger than everyone in the village, you were called by Vogarth and we just didn't read the signs properly".

And to answer the next question in the Vogarth queue,

Vogarth is a Herocult of Orlanth.

ST 237: "Any member of Ortlanth's cult may learn the magic listed here, although many provide greater abilities to dedicated worshippers."

As a note, Vogarth provides his magic *only* to dedicated worshippers (ie, devotees).

As I noted above, the Vogarthi-to-be would probably be an initiate of an Allfather "occupational" cult (Orlanthcarl, most likely). When he really felt the pull of Vogarth (developed that slow-witted ability, which I could even see being taken during a game) he'd join the hero cult of Vogarth, probably as an initiate. As an initiate he really wouldn't get anything for his 10% Herocult worship time, except that HP spent on Strength,
Honest or Slow Witted would count against it. Then, when his Strength and Slow-witted got to the appropriate level, he'd devote himself fully to Vogarth, dropping his Orlanthcarl worship and concentrating on Theism (mandatory to becoming a devotee) if he hadn't already. He'd be able to pick up the ability to heroform Vogarth. He'd still maintain his Allfather affinities,
*and* be able to use the feats, now that he is a Devotee. He'd lose all Common magic - including feats, because of the "no magic except that of your god" prohibition.

Of course, if he previously worshipped a cult from the Thunderous or Adventurous aspect of Orlanth before joining Vogarth, he'd keep the affinities and feats of the appropriate aspect.

 RR
 C'est par mon ordre et pour le bien de l'Etat que le porteur du pr�sent a  fait ce qu'il a fait.