Re: Lacking Courage

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:36:35 +0100 (BST)

Much as I'm against contradicting the august advice of other people on this list, BUT you can convert RQ characters to HQ fairly easily - whatever your playing style happens to be.

First caveat is: Do you want to? If you've been playing with the same bunch of players for 20 years there's probably a good accomodation between you by now, so why change something that's working?

Second caveat is: The GM is far more important than the rules can ever be. Even if you change the rules, the character of your game is going to (and should) stay much the same. Sure, you've got different mechanisms for resolving things, but you'll find that you'll end up concentrating on the things you (as a group) enjoy the most.

So, don't confuse changing the rules with changing the character of your game. If your players enjoy sending a bunch of freebooters and ne'er do wells out on raiding expeditions, you're going to end up doing the same whatever system you end up playing. Either that or end up with some bad fit between the players expectations and your game.

With those pair out of the way, here's Ash's guide for converting characters:

[Remember, if you get the power level wrong, it doesn't matter. Just crank up or down the opposition and it'll all come out in the wash.]

[This is actually easier the longer the group have been playing together and the better developed the characters are.]

Yer done. Keep an eye on things for the first couple of sessions to make sure the characters feel the same, and if not, tweak them. Play the game as you always did and the players will sooner or later get the hang of things.

Be aware of potential culture shocks for the players ("Hey, my characters can't use healing anymore!!!") and, if you you can, have some answers handy ("You don't need it so much with this game system").

Cheers,

Ash

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/7tRolB/TM